Friday, August 8, 2014

Winter Gardeners! Start your engines!


2012 Easter carrots
Yes, it is that time, again. I am please to announce purple-top turnip seeds sowed this week were up in two days. Detroit beets, the same, though they took a beating in last night's rain. Nantes carrots took a few more days but they are just darling. God and family know I just love the sound of carrots being pulled from the ground. There is nothing like it, absolutely nothing. Makes my heart happy.

Rounding out the summer season is a new crop of field peas and green beans. Sunflowers are coming on great-guns and parsley is ab-fab. Okra is just before overwhelming us which suits me just fine. Cannot wait to grill it on the barbie. Yesterday I transplanted broccoli and cabbage to bigger pots. Golden Grimes apples are ripening one a day and I am eating them right off the ground. Lovely! Fig jam is made and canned for winter. Today, friends, I am a satisfied gardener.

No comments: