Monday, September 8, 2014

Seeds. Gifts that keep on giving!

Okra, the new superfood. Do not try this in a smoothie. Let me do it first.  
The apples are ours. Organic is not grocery store pretty. Ice cold from the fridge they are a mighty sweet treat. Okra is spectacular. The daily take has been about fifteen. I cut it before the sun gets high because...it is still hot and humid and dewpoint-y in the 70's which makes  our world a great big suana. This, I attribute to a small (all things relative) hurricane blowing it's way between NC and Bermuda on it's way outta here. Okra will bear fruit right up til frost. I will harvest the pods, shuck the seeds (both varieties are heirloom) and grow them again next year. Woo hoo! The green pods are Clemson Spineless. I've seed saved them for years. The purples, Abelmoschus esculentus, (marbles in my mouth, sounds like a skin condition) were a Christmas gift. I like them a lot. Did I mention they are great roasted at 425 tossed with oil, salt, and pepper?

No comments: