Thursday, August 15, 2013

Transitions

A few weeks ago the sunlight changed and the cicadas began their summer song signaling a seasonal shift. I knew, even as I watered the heat-loving field pea seedlings, it was time to begin the cool weather crops. Consulting Felder Rushing's The North Carolina Fruit and Vegetable Book and Mother Earth News' "What to Plant" pages on the internet (Google) the time is now for planting some of my favorites.

Out came the beet seeds. I planted them between the field peas and the tomatoes so they would be shaded and not get burnt by our hot August sun. They were up in just two days! Next the broccoli and cabbage seeds were planted in saved seed pots. They too sprouted in record time. I will nurture them for a few weeks, then plant them between the rows of okra for shade until the heat abates. Last night I sorted out all the seeds of plants that can tolerate cool weather. Kale and lettuces are on the top of the pile.
Summer veggie update:
  •  Snap beans are on the menu daily.
  •  Field peas are flowering.
  •  We have okra!
  •  Homestead and Rutgers tomato plants are still alive, fruiting and beginning to turn red.
  •  Peppers are coming on strong.
  •  Parsley got eaten by caterpillars. Must get on that.
  •  Summer squash is...words fail me.
  •  Sweet potatoes are vining.
  • Figs. OMG! Figs! How could I forget them?! I have been making the most delicious jam. Google microwave fig jam. Kudos to neighbor Suzie for sharing the recipe and to Scott for picking the figs. TEAM!


Brilliant! 


No comments: