Monday, January 22, 2018

Seed germination test

I bought Wando (green) peas sometime back at a garden supply store, brought them home and did not put the year on the bag. I planted some, then stored them without dating. Bad news. Good news.  I could remember buying them. So they weren't ancient. Not wanting to risk failure, I chitted them (as the British say) or did a germination test.
Here's how it's done: Damp paper towel, 10 seeds to make the math easier, a plastic bag. Wet the paper towel, lay the seeds on them folding half the towel over the seeds and tuck them into the bag. Check back a few days later to see if they are swelling or sending out a shoot. 
In the case of the Wando beans I had 100% germination. Back to the British. They plant their chits. Me too because in just two weeks I'll be planting round one of our spring garden peas. 
So excited!
Isn't that just the sweetest sight?! I know there are only eight. Two rolled onto the floor when I opened the bag.

No comments: