Monday, February 26, 2018

Spring!

Add caption
Winter has been over for weeks here in Southeastern NC. Despite a doozie of a head cold I stumbled outside in bursts to plant according to the Mother Earth News, "What to Plant Now" monthly guide. Call it global warming or luck, I did not have to cover beds because temps were in the 70's and 80's. I did have to water.

We now have a transition garden with direct seeding of lettuce, carrots, onions, potatoes, beets and radishes up and at 'em. Rutabagas and kale are the winter hold overs. The potatoes are a shock. They are already pushing up. The ground is warm enough for them to do that.

I stumbled into a fabulous throw back to the 1970's while in Charlottesville, VA. recently. Like falling down Alice's rabbit hole it was a hippy throwback owned by two hippy women about my age. The only thing missing were the macrame hanging plant holders. I came away with hundreds of dollars worth of organic, heritage seeds, potting mix and garden ephemera. The very best find was seedling mix that is not hydrophobic. Hallelujah! I also caved and bought a heating pad for seedlings and grow light. Uh, duh. Why did I wait so long?

Following what I hope will be a soaking rain today, we will put an herb/flower bed in where the tree-that-died-after-Matthew was. It is currently a big, ugly, scar in our backyard. Losing a tree abruptly is hard for many reasons but this was a very serviceable shade tree. I miss it. All this to say that my annual new, exciting plants will be herbs I've never grown-borage, chamomile, horseradish and others with the anchor being a Serviceberry. Soon the whole world will be green and blooming!



No comments: