Saturday, May 19, 2018

Experiment

Following three hot, dry weeks we have had a whole week of gentle soaking rain with cooler temps. What a relief.

This year's garden experiment is huge! I am growing tomatoes in straw bales. So far, so good. All are healthy and some are setting fruit.  I'm following Craig LeHoullier's method. They are all grown from seed by me and gardening friends. All who attended the class overdid it. To our credit we  shared. Some are dwarf, some are heirloom, some hybrid. I am hoping for a more successful experience this year.
Tomato varieties include:
Bella Rosa (heirloom)
Yellow Pear (heirloom)
Cherokee Purple (heirloom)
Lemon Ice (dwarf)
Pink Passion (dwarf)
Mountain Fresh F1 (hybrid)
Mountain Magic F1 (hybrid)
Juliet F1 (hybrid)
Celebrity (hybrid)
Green Vernissage (heirloom)
Other garden successes include kale, lettuce, carrots, garlic, potatoes, cabbage. Green beans are forming tags.
Soon we'll be eating green beans and potatoes.
Spinach was an epic failure. I think I'm done.








No comments: