Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Late Winter or Early Spring?

Ours has been a relatively warm winter and here mid-February we find ourselves with temperatures in the 60's and 70's wondering should I plant? Then it comes up cool and rainy. So yes, I impulsively planted and covered. Radishes came up within days, I keep watching for carrots, lettuce and beets planted last week to push up and, as a plus, we'll have rain every day this week which will be perfect for young seedlings and transplants.

Currently put out to chit in a warm, sunny bedroom are seed potatoes. Some are already starting to sprout and will be put out next week when I sort out how much rain there will be. We've had way too much rain since Hurricane Florence (and that was an epic amount of water) so I will sit tight and wait on those until March. I bought from an organic seed company out of Maine, Wood Prairie Farms, last year, like the results and varieties offered and have bought from them again this year. A plus, they sell organically grown potatoes for eating as well. Yay!

Scott brought home broccoli and cabbage from the seeds store last week those are in and will hopefully do well.

Exciting news! The broad beans aka fava beans are beginning to flower. I am quite pleased with how well they are doing. Spinach planted last fall survived and are growing in this warmth. I am ever hopeful that we'll have enough for salads and for cooking. Swiss chard has survived the coldest nights  under cover and we've enjoyed off and on this winter. I have a recipe using Swiss chard with scallops that is quite warming on cold nights.

Herbs that survived the hurricane are thriving and enhancing meals almost daily. Did I tell you about Green Soup. I know. I did. But we love it and use all combinations of greens to make it, nothing is exempt from inclusion in this brassica based elixir- rutabaga, Swiss chard, collard, broccoli, mustard, kale have all been thrown into the pot. A reminder, do not forget the squeeze of lemon. It's no different than adding a splash of vinegar to braised greens, that time honored tradition of Southern cuisine, which adds that something that puts them over the top! Salud!
The seed packet says they like cool, wet weather. I am chuffed. 
!

No comments: