Friday, May 24, 2019

May 2019

Allowed to sprout from bird feeder! 
Transitioning from fall/winter to summer I am always busy in the garden but this year I traveled which really skewed the timeline. Back on track, only the kale, cabbage and Swiss Chard are evidence of cooler times and soon they will be outta here! Temperatures are soaring into the high 90's today and will persist for at least the next week.

Tomato fruit, growing in pots, are about to change color. I am trying to think of the advantages of growing in pots, but really, it is a lot of work here where it is so hot. I need even bigger pots and bigger pots mean bigger ugly. Perhaps oak barrels are the answer.

Shifting away from a Southern gardener's biggest challenge (tomatoes), everything else is chugging right along. Potatoes are harvested I planted okra on Monday and they were up by Wednesday, green beans are producing generously, zucchini is good. Peppers are forming on the bell variety. Ground cherries are starting to fruit. Jalapeños lookin' good, same with cayenne. Field peas will be planted tomorrow and off we go enjoy summer's bounty!

Every exposed area of soil has been mulched as we have flipped from too wet to too dry. I use wheat straw which is pretty, decomposes well and does a good job of retaining moisture.

I am harvesting oregano for drying and will do the same with chives mid-morning today.  Then I will hide from the heat!
Pearly white against pale green. Perfection! 

Red Norland what Southerners call "new potatoes" because the skin can be rubbed off (but who does that any more?).  

A handful every few days and we have enough for dinner. 



1 comment:

JoyMac said...

Gayle,

Just saw your most recent posts and I learn so much! But, Wow, that sunflower! if YOU are not going to paint it, I would love to!

Love ya!
Joy