Sunday, January 20, 2013

What I learned in 2012:
1. Oregano is an invasive species in The South. It is a ground cover that sends out roots along the vine and propagates itself a lot like mint. It is not a neat plant. Moving to pots ASAP. 
2.  A season without parsley is a long time to do without. Combined with that invasive oregano I'm growing it makes a wonderful chimichurri. Both survive southern winters. A jar of chimichurri in the fridge is like money in the bank. Such a beautiful deep green and cheaper to make than pesto.  
3. Turnips should be in my annual rotation. Itty bitty roots cooked in a gratin are wonderful. The greens cooked in apple cider are wonderful also. 
4. I can grow cauliflower from seed. Somehow I got it right.
5. Grilled okra. Oil, salt and pepper, who knew it would be so good?!
6. I really don't like brussels sprouts but it's not all about me so I grow them.
7. The protective cloth I bought to cover tender plants in winter really works.
8. I can save seeds and they will sprout the next year!
9. Tomatoes are always a pain, always a pain, always a pain...
10. Zinnias. Just plant zinnias. When they get powdery mildew pull them up and plant some more from the seeds saved from the original plants. They are a win-win. Bees love them, butterflies love them, I love them.

Chimichurri

1 cup parsley leaves and tender stems
1/4 to 1/2 cup oregano leaves
3 cloves garlic
1 whole dried pepper
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup oil
Blend them all together. Use to flavor soup, any recipe Mexican, roasted chicken. 


No comments: