Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Don't give up on zuccas!

This year, I successfully managed the squash, I think. I planted many more than I expected to live knowing that squash borers would get some (and they did). Finally, my forty four living plants bore fruit at a steady pace.
Almanac Gardener farm extension agents assured viewers however to prepare for the worst, because that's just the way it is, not to give up, but to plant squash successively, brave garden warrior! I did as advised knowing from past experience that my four, reliable producers would give out.
It's been ugly, ugly, fellow earth turners. Early losses, seeds failed to germinate, and seedlings that languished for no discernable reason. Despite Neem oil, aluminum foil, garlic-onion-cayenne pepper spray and some needle piercing of nasty, life sucking, caterpillars powdery mildew was the KO punch.
It's been ugly, ugly, fellow earth turners. Early losses, seeds failed to germinate, and seedlings that just sit without growing. Not to mention those pale, slimy squash borers. But... I have another in the wings with a small zucca forming. I planted a new seedlings yesterday and more seeds gave sprouted. Victory! I think. 
The  squash we have harvested made yummy casserole for a family reunion and other dinners, fried squash succotash, zucchini pancakes and, most luscious and infinitely more healthy, tiny squashes halved and baked with a brush of olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesan.
Round 2

No comments: