Thursday, March 22, 2018

Whacky Doo Winter

Tomatoes. I have about sixty plants. 😐
Spring is on the calendar and I, in anxious anticipation, started all manner of seedlings in all places. Fortunately small lettuces do not mind frost/freeze if covered so we re-covered, again. A gardening version of spin the bottle.
I put out broccoli seedlings and Swiss chard thinking a warming trend would begin a-a-and had to cover. Beets, you're on your own. Maybe I will cover them before the cold settles tonight. Maybe. Bright sunny days yield frost at night this year.
RobCo Master Gardeners' Spring Symposium featured Greg LeHoullier, self proclaimed Tomato Man. First, he declared tomato seeds are viable for up to twelve years. Good thing I hoard seeds. Testing his theory I found my six year olds were. I also used a modified version of his germination method and now have entirely too many of every type of tomato I planted.
Here's the list:
Celebrity
Mountain Magic
Mountain Fresh
Yellow pear
Juliet
Lemon Ice (dwarf)
Pink Passion (dwarf)
All have been separated, replanted and are thriving.
Now we wait for warmer weather. And, I will buy some more heirloom tomato seeds.
There are other seedlings up. Beets, leeks, ground cherries, borage.
Failed twice are the basil seeds.
Hm.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

where did you buy your seeds for tomatoes? I am going to back away a bit this year and grow fewer I think...Liar...I do want to try the dwarf I actually have ordered 6 plants for Craig for pick up in April I suppose. I finally planted carrots and beets last week. Gave up on my support help! Taters are coming through the straw prolifically. Third year on asparagus...shoots up already but I'm not encouraged at all by the size of them. Was hoping to be eating asparagus this year. Maybe it is too early yet for the big shoots. Broccoli is very slow, but hopefully it will take off with next weeks warm nights. Cabbage from fall, 2 survived, are starting a little twist to their growth...How much longer do we have to wait???