Sunday, October 28, 2018

Fall is here!

We skippity hopped right past Indian summer and into mid-Fall! In a matter of days I put away all my summer clothes and pulled out winter garb.
The sun came out today encouraging me to get out and dig, clean, compost and mulch. I checked on some lettuce, arugula, radishes and spinach planted a over week ago growing under cover and found all have germinated but the spinach. I also planted more garlic. All are planted in 4x4 raised beds. The lettuce varieties are  Oak Leaf and, new to me, Spotted Alepo bought at the Monticello gift shop. The radishes are Sparkler. In an adjacent 4x4 bed are magnificent Chinese cabbages just heading up and more lettuce: Marveille de Quatres Saison (an heirloom French variety that grows right through winter) and Black Seeded Simpson. Swiss chard is doing OK.
Today's harvest? Okra pods full of seeds for next year's summer harvest.


No comments: